1) EASTERN STATE PENITENTIARY… Yes, let’s start with a prison. I was told years ago by someone that I needed to go and check out this old penitentiary in Philadelphia. Trying to not sound like a lunatic, I asked a friend of mine if they wanted to go with me. That was over 15 years ago and I’ve probably been there about 7 times since then! The place is amazing! There’s so much history to it! I’ve brought different people with me every single time I’ve gone just to show them how fascinating this place is!
In it’s day, Eastern State housed a lot of old time criminals like Al Capone.
It’s been in a few movies too. Ghost hunters have been here. It takes up a couple of blocks in Philadelphia. It’s huge! You can choose an audio tour or with a guide. Great day trip! No matter how crazy you may sound if you ask “want to go to a penitentiary?” You’re gonna love it!
It really is a great place to take some fun pictures too…
Don’t forget to grab a Philly Cheesesteak when you’re done!! Who will be you’re favorite?!? Pat’s or Geno’s?? Hmmm
2) MUTTER MUSEUM… The Mutter Museum (college of Physicians of Philadelphia) is very interesting to see. I do not have pictures, as they do not allow it inside. If you are into medical history, artifacts and anatomical specimens then this place if for you! I am in the medical field, so when I first saw this place, l couldn’t believe what I was seeing! I was fascinated by the worlds largest colon and all kinds of things in jars! Ok, I don’t want to get to graphic here. I would not advise you to go though if you are not able to stomach such things. It’s not really gruesome, just very interesting. It can be very educational! Just another thing to do if you are in the Philly area!
PA in general is a great state to visit, especially in the fall with all of it’s beautiful foliage. Aside from all of it’s history throughout Philadelphia, take a drive through the Poconos as well! A beautiful countryside drive full of markets, candle factories and more! Go explore..
3) WATKINS GLEN, NY… This drive may be a bit of a stretch, depending on where you live, it would make for a great weekend trip as well! It’s in the Finger Lakes region. Again, another beautiful fall drive. It’s a fabulous place to hike and enjoy the sound of waterfalls! A very tranquil place to visit. Very “goonie” like too..
When I visited this whole area a few years ago, I did not realize how many wineries and distilleries there are around the Finger Lakes! On my drive back home, I must’ve passed 10 wineries a minute!! They say certain times throughout the year, as you’re driving around, the smell of grapes are in the air!
4) SLEEPY HOLLOW/TARRYTOWN, NY… One of my most favorite places to be this time of year is Sleepy Hollow. There are all kinds of things going on there, especially now. You have your night activities such as Blaze, which is a famous display of Jack O’lanterns. There are lantern cemetery tours. During the day, you can explore all kinds of mansions. Rockefeller is a fabulous one to visit! As you head north up the Hudson a bit more (Croton on the Hudson) you’ll see even more historical homes you can visit. I recommend them all!! Sleepy Hollow cemetery during the day is also a site to see. There are famous people buried there. Huge Mausoleums, bigger than you can imagine, that belong to the Rockefeller’s and some owned by other oil tycoons.
Notoriously misbehaved business woman Leona Helmsley (aka Queen of Mean) has a mausoleum there with her husband Harry, owner of Empire State Building and then some.. Her mausoleum is extremely clean. They say it was in her will to have it cleaned from the inside out like twice a yr. The windows are sparkling.
5) NEWBURGH, NY… Take a boat ride up along the Hudson! “Pride of the Hudson” is a company that leaves from Blu Pointe in Newburgh and stops at sites along the way like Washington’s Headquarter, Bannerman Island, West Point and more! It’s a relaxing ride you’ll enjoy for sure…
6) HAMILTON, NJ… And don’t forget to check out Grounds for Sculpture that I mentioned in my last post! That’s a field trip must for NJ!
I hope you enjoyed a few of my recommendations here. Get out there and explore!! Safely of course! It’s good for the soul…